Are you in search of a high-performance fish finder and chartplotter that can help you navigate the waters and find fish with ease? Look no further than the Simrad GO12 XSE. This versatile device combines advanced fish-finding capabilities with top-of-the-line chartplotting and navigation features, making it a valuable tool for both novice and experienced anglers. In this Simrad GO12 XSE review, we will explore the features and capabilities of this powerful fish finder and chartplotter. From its physical design and user interface to its fish-finding and navigation technology, we’ll cover everything you need to know about the Simrad GO12 XSE. Whether you’re fishing in unfamiliar waters or simply want to improve your chances of catching fish, the Simrad GO12 XSE may be the tool you need to take your fishing to the next level.
So, if you’re looking for a reliable and powerful fish finder and chartplotter, read on to learn more about the Simrad GO12 XSE and find out if it’s the right fishfinder for you.
Here are some technical specifications for the Simrad GO12 XSE:
- 12″ diagonal color TFT LCD display with LED backlight
- Resolution: 1280 x 800 pixels
- Multi-touch interface
- CHIRP sonar technology for clear and detailed imaging
- DownScan Imaging for detailed views of underwater structures
- SideScan Imaging for detailed views of the area around your boat
- StructureScan 3D for detailed views of the underwater environment in 3D
- Advanced chartplotting capabilities for efficient and safe trip planning
- Customizable routing and planning system
- C-MAP MAX-N+ and Navionics cartography support
- NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 connectivity for networking with other marine devices
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity for easy access to real-time data
- Smartphone and tablet connectivity for remote control and viewing
- Software updates are available through the GoFree App
- 12.91″ x 8.91″ x 3.65″
- Weight: 6.39 lbs
- Advanced Fish Finding Capabilities
- High-Quality Chartplotting and Navigation
- Large and High-Resolution Display
- Wireless Connectivity
- Easy to Install and Use
- Dual-Channel CHIRP Sonar
- TotalScan Transducer that combines CHIRP, DownScan Imaging, and SideScan Imaging into one unit
- NMEA 2000 Connectivity
- Easy Routing and Planning
- Advanced Networking
- Advanced fish-finding capabilities, including CHIRP sonar, DownScan Imaging, and SideScan Imaging.
- High-quality chartplotting and navigation with pre-loaded C-MAP Pro and C-MAP Max-N+ charts.
- Large and high-resolution display with multi-touch interface
- Wireless connectivity with support for live weather updates and software updates.
- Easy to install and use with a simple plug-and-play design.
- Dual-channel CHIRP sonar and TotalScan Transducer for a more detailed and accurate view of the underwater environment.
- NMEA 2000 connectivity for easy networking with other devices on your boat.
- Easy routing and planning system with pre-set routes, custom routes, and waypoint support.
- Advanced networking capabilities, including radar, AIS, autopilot, and entertainment system integration.
- Dual microSD card slots.
- Advanced waypoint management.
- Multi-window display:
- Weather overlays: The Simrad GO12 XSE is compatible with SiriusXM Weather, which enables you to overlay real-time weather data onto the chartplotter display.
- Comprehensive support: Simrad offers a comprehensive support system for the GO12 XSE, including product .manuals, instructional videos, and a customer support team that can assist you with any issues or questions you may have.
- Higher price point compared to other fish finders and chartplotters on the market.
- Can be overwhelming for beginner users due to the large number of features and capabilities.
- Some users have reported occasional connectivity issues with wireless features.
- TotalScan Transducer may require additional installation effort compared to other transducer types.
Overall, the Simrad GO12 XSE is a powerful and feature-rich fish finder and chartplotter that is well-suited for experienced anglers who require advanced capabilities for fishing and navigation. While it may have a higher price point than some other options on the market, the range of features and capabilities make it a worthwhile investment for those who demand the best. However, beginner users may find the device overwhelming at first, and some users have reported occasional connectivity issues with the wireless feature.
Benefits of the Simrad GO12 XSE
Here are some benefits of the Simrad GO12 XSE:
- High-resolution display: The device’s large, high-resolution display provides clear and detailed views of the underwater environment, allowing you to easily spot fish and other structures.
- Multi-touch interface: The device’s user-friendly interface is easy to navigate, allowing you to quickly access the features and information you need.
- Wireless connectivity: The device can be connected to a smartphone or tablet via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, allowing you to access real-time data and make adjustments on the go.
- Advanced networking capabilities: The Simrad GO12 XSE can be connected to other marine devices, such as radar and AIS systems, allowing you to access real-time data from multiple sources.
- Customizable settings: The device’s settings can be customized to match your specific preferences and needs, making it a versatile tool for a wide range of applications.
- Accurate navigational information: The device’s advanced chartplotting capabilities provide accurate navigational information, allowing you to plan your trips more efficiently and safely.
- Weather updates: The device can be used to access up-to-date weather information, allowing you to plan your trips more effectively and safely.
Also, you can check out our review of Simrad Cruise 5 Review
Who is the Simrad Go12 XSE Review
The Simrad GO12 XSE fish finder and chartplotter are designed for a wide range of users, from experienced anglers to boating enthusiasts. The device’s advanced fish finding and chartplotting capabilities make it well-suited for serious anglers who require a comprehensive view of the underwater environment, as well as accurate navigational information. The high-resolution display and multi-touch interface are easy to use and allow for detailed views of the water and marine life.
The device is also ideal for boaters who want a versatile and reliable navigation system for their boat. With its advanced routing and planning system, the GO12 XSE can help you plan your trips more efficiently and safely. The wireless connectivity also allows you to stay up-to-date with weather conditions, software updates, and other important information.
While the GO12 XSE may be more expensive than some other fish finders and chartplotters on the market, its advanced features and capabilities make it a worthwhile investment for those who require the best. The device’s ease of use and advanced networking capabilities also make it an attractive option for boating enthusiasts who want a high-quality and reliable navigation system for their boats.
Revenant Guide, Simrad Cruise 7 Review
Things to Consider Before purchasing the Simrad GO12 XSE
Before purchasing the Simrad GO12 XSE, there are a few things to consider to make sure it’s the right fish finder and chartplotting device for your needs:
Make sure that the device is compatible with your existing marine equipment and accessories, as well as any third-party apps or software you may be using. the Simrad GO12 XSE’s high level of compatibility and support for a wide range of devices and technologies makes it a versatile and powerful tool for marine navigation and fishing and allows you to connect with and make use of a wide range of other devices and systems.
Screen size and Resolution
The Simrad GO12 XSE features a 12-inch display screen with a high-resolution IPS display that provides excellent visibility and clarity, even in bright sunlight. The screen has a resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels, which is more than enough to provide detailed and crisp images of the underwater environment.
The large screen size and high resolution of the Simrad GO12 XSE are key features that make the device highly useful for anglers and boaters. The display screen provides excellent visibility and clarity, and the device’s split-screen capability can help you to view
The Simrad GO12 XSE features advanced sonar technology that can help you to locate fish and other underwater features with accuracy and ease. The device uses a combination of CHIRP sonar and DownScan Imaging to provide highly detailed images of the underwater environment.
- CHIRP sonar: CHIRP sonar works by sending out a range of frequencies, rather than just a single frequency like traditional sonar. This allows the device to provide a more detailed and accurate image of the underwater environment, including fish and structures. CHIRP sonar can also help to reduce interference and noise, which can improve the overall quality of the image.
- DownScan Imaging: DownScan Imaging is a separate technology that provides highly detailed images of the underwater environment. This technology uses a high-frequency sonar beam to create a picture-like image of the bottom and underwater structures, making it easier to identify objects and features.
The combination of CHIRP sonar and DownScan Imaging can provide anglers and boaters with a highly detailed and accurate view of the underwater environment. This can help to identify potential fishing spots, locate structures and obstacles, and even identify different types of fish. The sonar technology in the Simrad GO12 XSE is advanced and highly capable, and it can provide valuable information for anglers and boaters of all skill levels. With its easy-to-use interface and powerful capabilities, the device can help you to locate and catch more fish and explore the underwater world with confidence.
Expert Recommendation, you can check out Simrad GO7 XSR Review
The Simrad GO12 XSE fish finder and chartplotter comes with a TotalScan transducer, which is a versatile all-in-one transducer that includes CHIRP, DownScan Imaging, and StructureScan HD. This transducer can provide highly detailed and accurate images of the underwater environment, including fish, structures, and other features.
The TotalScan transducer has a frequency range of 83/200 kHz, and it can operate at a maximum depth of 1000 feet in traditional 2D sonar mode and 300 feet in DownScan Imaging and StructureScan HD modes. The transducer is also capable of providing side-scanning capabilities, which can help you to locate fish and structures that may be located on the sides of your boat.
The Simrad GO12 XSE features powerful networking capabilities that allow you to connect with other devices and share information with ease. The device supports NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 networking, which are standard communication protocols used in the marine industry. NMEA 0183 networking is an older protocol that is still used in many boats and devices. The Simrad GO12 XSE supports both NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183, which means it can communicate with a wide range of other devices and systems.
In addition to NMEA networking, the Simrad GO12 XSE also supports wireless connectivity through Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. This allows you to connect with other devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and computers, to share information and access a wider range of features and capabilities.
Also, you can check out our post about the Simrad Cruise 9 Review
The Simrad GO12 XSE features highly accurate GPS technology that can help you navigate with precision and confidence. The device uses a 10 Hz GPS receiver that provides fast and reliable position updates and can connect with a wide range of GPS antennas and sensors.
The device’s GPS functionality provides detailed information about your position, course, speed, and more, and allows you to plan routes and waypoints with ease. The Simrad GO12 XSE also supports a range of other GPS features, including automatic route planning, automatic time and tide calculation, and more.
The Simrad GO12 XSE features advanced mapping capabilities that can help you navigate with confidence and precision. The device comes preloaded with a wide range of charts, including detailed coastal and offshore charts, and supports a variety of chart formats, including C-MAP, Navionics, and others. One particularly useful mapping feature of the Simrad GO12 XSE is the device’s ability to create custom maps with real-time sonar data. By using the device’s sonar technology, you can create detailed and accurate maps of underwater terrain, which can be useful for fishing, diving, and other activities.
You May Also Like our Simrad NSS12 EVO3 Review
The Simrad GO12 XSE is a high-end fish finder and chartplotting device, so it may not be suitable for those on a tight budget. Consider the price and whether it’s within your budget or not.
The device is highly advanced, and it may require a certain level of technical expertise to install and operate it. Ensure that you have the necessary knowledge and experience or are willing to seek help from a professional installer. To make the most of the Simrad GO12 XSE, it is important to have a certain level of technical expertise and knowledge of marine electronics and navigation systems. While the device is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive, certain technical aspects can be challenging for less experienced users.
For example, the device’s networking capabilities, while powerful and versatile, may require some knowledge of networking technologies and protocols to set up and configure properly. Similarly, the device’s sonar technology and mapping capabilities may require some knowledge of underwater topography and marine ecosystems to interpret and make use of the data.
Consider how you plan to use the device, whether for recreational or professional purposes and what features you will need to achieve your goals. The Simrad GO12 XSE is a highly versatile and powerful tool for marine navigation and fishing and can be used in a variety of different settings and applications. Some of the key ways in which the device can be used include:
- Fishing: The Simrad GO12 XSE’s advanced sonar technology and mapping capabilities make it an excellent tool for fishing, allowing you to locate and track fish with precision and accuracy. The device’s automatic route planning and dynamic tide calculations can also be useful for finding the best fishing spots and optimizing your fishing strategy.
- Navigation: The Simrad GO12 XSE can be used as a powerful and reliable navigation tool, with its large and high-resolution display providing clear and detailed maps, charts, and other navigational data. The device’s GPS capabilities, including support for WAAS and EGNOS augmentation systems, can also be useful for accurate positioning and route planning.
- Safety: The Simrad GO12 XSE can also be used as a safety tool, providing information on weather, tides, and other potentially hazardous conditions. The device’s networking capabilities also allow it to connect with other safety systems, such as AIS and VHF radios and share important data and information.
- Recreation: Finally, the Simrad GO12 XSE can also be used for recreational purposes, providing a range of features and capabilities for boating, sailing, and other water-based activities. The device’s networking capabilities also allow it to connect with a wide range of other devices and systems, such as entertainment systems, cameras, and other accessories.
Overall, the Simrad GO12 XSE is a highly versatile and powerful tool that can be used in a wide range of applications and settings and is a valuable tool for professional fishermen, boaters, and other water enthusiasts.
Consider the type of boating environment you’ll be using the device in. If you’re planning to use it in saltwater or freshwater, and whether you’ll be fishing in shallow or deep waters, may influence the type of sonar technology and transducer you need. The Simrad GO12 XSE fish finder is designed for use in a range of different boating environments, including freshwater, saltwater, and brackish water. The device is highly durable and built to withstand the challenges of harsh marine environments, including exposure to saltwater, UV radiation, and rough waves.
Some of the key factors to consider when using the Simrad GO12 XSE in a boating environment include the device’s power consumption, mounting options, and compatibility with other systems and devices on board. It’s also important to consider factors such as weather conditions, water depth, and other potential hazards when using the device for navigation and fish finding.
The Simrad GO12 XSE fish finder features a user-friendly interface that is designed to make it easy for boaters and anglers to access all of the device’s key features and capabilities. The device’s large, high-resolution display is bright and easy to read, even in bright sunlight or low-light conditions, and the touchscreen interface is intuitive and easy to navigate.
Read also, our review of Simrad GO9 XSE Review
The device also features a range of customization options, allowing users to adjust settings such as screen brightness, color palettes, and sonar settings to best suit their individual needs and preferences. The device also includes a range of built-in tools and features, such as a chartplotter, radar display, and engine data display, which can be accessed and controlled directly from the main user interface. the Simrad GO12 XSE’s user interface is highly functional and user-friendly, making it a great choice for boaters and anglers who want a reliable and easy-to-use fish finder that can help to enhance their on-water experience.
The Simrad GO12 XSE requires a significant amount of power to operate. Make sure your boat’s power supply is sufficient to meet the device’s requirements, and consider whether you need to purchase additional batteries or a power supply.
This fish finder comes with a power cable and a fuse holder, which should be installed in line with the device’s power supply to protect the device from power surges or other electrical issues. The power cable is 6.5 feet (2 meters) long, providing plenty of reach to connect the device to a suitable power source.
It’s important to ensure that the device is properly powered and grounded to prevent damage or malfunctions. Additionally, it’s a good idea to have a backup power source available, such as a spare battery or portable power pack, in case of power outages or other issues that could affect the device’s performance.
Also, You can visit Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv Review
The battery life of the Simrad GO12 XSE varies depending on how you use it. The device requires a 12V DC power supply, and the power consumption is typically around 1.1 amps at 13.8 volts. The device is designed to work with a range of battery types, including lead-acid, lithium, and AGM batteries.
The actual battery life of the device depends on various factors, including the type and age of the battery, the ambient temperature, and the brightness settings of the display. The device’s screen brightness and other features can be adjusted to conserve battery life, but this can affect the readability of the display.
If you plan on using the Simrad GO12 XSE for long periods, you may want to consider using a backup power source or carrying extra batteries to ensure that you don’t run out of power while on the water. You can also consider purchasing a battery monitor to keep track of the device’s power usage and to alert you when the battery is running low.
Overall, the battery life of the Simrad GO12 XSE is sufficient for most boating and fishing trips, but it’s important to be aware of the device’s power requirements and to plan accordingly.
Installation and Mounting options
The Simrad GO12 XSE is a large and heavy device, and it requires careful installation and mounting to ensure its stability and functionality. Consider the type of boat you have and the mounting options available.
The device is designed to be used in marine environments, but it’s still important to consider the level of weatherproofing that you require. If you’re planning to use the device in harsh weather conditions, make sure that it is designed to withstand those conditions.
By considering these factors, you can ensure that the Simrad GO12 XSE is the right fish finder and chartplotting device for your specific needs.
Simrad GO12 XSE Installation Manual
Here is an example of the manual for installing the Simrad GO12 XSE fish finder:
- Determine the installation location: Before beginning installation, carefully select the location of your Simrad GO12 XSE fish finder. It is important to choose a location that will provide a clear and unobstructed view of the water.
- Drill mounting holes: Once you have selected the installation location, use a drill to make mounting holes. Make sure to choose the appropriate size drill bit based on the mounting hardware that comes with your fish finder.
- Install mounting hardware: After drilling the mounting holes, insert the mounting hardware into the holes. Use a screwdriver to tighten the screws until they are secure.
- Connect power and transducer cables: After mounting the fish finder, connect the power and transducer cables to the appropriate ports. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for properly connecting the cables.
- Test the fish finder: Once you have connected the power and transducer cables, turn on the fish finder and test it to ensure that it is working properly. Check that the display is clear and that the transducer is detecting fish.
- Finish the installation: After testing the fish finder, finish the installation by securing any loose cables and making sure the fish finder is properly mounted.
Note: If you are not comfortable with the installation process, it is recommended that you seek the assistance of a professional.
Here are some alternative fish finders to the Simrad GO12 XSE:
- Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 93sv: This fish finder has a 9-inch display with high definition and ultra-clear scanning sonar technology. It also includes built-in maps and wireless connectivity.
- Lowrance HOOK Reveal 9: This fish finder has a 9-inch display with split shot sonar and downscan imaging. It also includes preloaded C-MAP charts and wireless connectivity.
- Humminbird HELIX 7 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3: This fish finder has a 7-inch display with side imaging and down imaging sonar. It also includes built-in GPS and preloaded maps.
- Raymarine Axiom+ 9 RV: This fish finder has a 9-inch display with real-vision 3D sonar technology. It also includes built-in maps and wireless connectivity.
- Furuno FCV588: This fish finder has an 8.4-inch display with chirp technology and bottom discrimination. It also includes advanced signal processing and optional networking capabilities.
These are just a few examples of alternative fish finders available on the market. It’s important to consider your specific needs and budget when selecting the right fish finder for you.
Certainly, here are some FAQs related to the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder:
What is the screen size of the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder?
The Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder comes with a 12-inch display screen.
What is the maximum depth range of the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder?
The Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder can provide accurate readings up to a depth of 1,000 feet.
Can the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder be used in saltwater?
Yes, the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder is suitable for both freshwater and saltwater environments.
What type of transducer is included with the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder?
The Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder comes with a TotalScan transducer, which can support a variety of sonar technologies.
Is the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder compatible with radar systems?
Yes, the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder can be integrated with compatible radar systems for increased navigational capabilities.
Does the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder include built-in GPS?
Yes, the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder comes with a built-in GPS receiver and can be used for navigation and waypoint tracking.
Can the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder be used for ice fishing?
While the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder is designed for use on boats, it can also be used for ice fishing with the appropriate accessories.
Is the Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder difficult to install?
The Simrad GO12 XSE Fish Finder comes with detailed instructions and can be easily installed by most boat owners or marine technicians.
Final Thoughts on Simrad GO12 XSE Review
The Simrad GO12 XSE is an excellent fish finder that provides an impressive combination of advanced features, ease of use, and value for money. The device is suitable for a wide range of boating environments and is perfect for those who are looking for a powerful and reliable tool to enhance their fishing experience.
The Simrad GO12 XSE’s high-resolution display, sonar technology, GPS, and mapping features are some of the most impressive aspects of the device. The device also comes with excellent networking capabilities that make it easy to connect with other devices and accessories. While the Simrad GO12 XSE may not be the most affordable fish finder on the market, its advanced features, ease of use, and durability make it an excellent investment for anyone serious about fishing. We highly recommend the option for anyone looking for a reliable and versatile device for their boating and fishing needs. Its advanced sonar technology, high-resolution display, and extensive networking and mapping capabilities make it a top choice among fishing enthusiasts and professionals alike. It may be a bit pricey compared to other fish finders on the market, but its quality and performance make it a worthwhile investment for serious anglers.
Best Fish Finder
Best Fish Finder for Kayak
Best Fish Finder for the Money
Best Fish Finder for Small Boat
Best Fish Finder GPS Combo
Best Fish Finder for Saltwater
Best Offshore Fish Finder